Thread: Pregnancy at 42

Hybrid View

Pregnancy at 42

Is it still safe for me to get pregnant at my age of 42? My youngest is 11 years old now.

Hi Lana,

Thank you for your question. Firstly, know that many women of your age have healthy pregnancies. However, there are unfortunately some issues surrounding getting pregnant when you are an older mum (which is generally classed as over 35 years old). Firstly, it can unfortunately be more difficult to conceive when you are aged over 35 years old. This is because both the quality and quantity of a woman's eggs start to decrease after this time. At age 42 you have around a 15% chance of conceiving in a year of trying.

The fact that the quality of a woman's eggs start to decrease more rapidly after 35 years of age unfortunately means that there is a higher chance of having a miscarriage and a higher chance of the baby being born with a syndrome such as Down Syndrome. The chance of a baby having Down Syndrome when the mum is 40 years old is 1 in 100 compared to 1 in 1000 at 30 years of age.

However, despite all these many women in their early 40s do have healthy pregnancies and healthy babies. It is more difficult than compared to a women in her early 30s but it is certainly still possible. Preconception care is particularly important for older mums.

I hope this is helpful and not too discouraging. Please do post back with any further questions you may have here.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Thanks a lot for your wonderful advise!!!