Can you take medication while you are Breastfeeding?

Well I was not really able to breastfeed with my first son, but I was always wondering if you can take Tylenol or any kind of medication while you are breastfeeding? I know that sometimes you may get a headache or backaches, so I was just trying to see how this would fit into breastfeeding. I am hoping that I never have to take anything while I am trying to breastfeed, but sometimes I never know. Thank you in advance for your help.

Obviously you want to take the natural route whenever possible, but there are actually many medications that are believed to be safe for nursing mothers. There is a book called "Medications and Mothers Milk" by Dr. Thomas Hale that is a great resource for this information.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2many View Post
    Obviously you want to take the natural route whenever possible, but there are actually many medications that are believed to be safe for nursing mothers. There is a book called "Medications and Mothers Milk" by Dr. Thomas Hale that is a great resource for this information.
    Thank you for responding I will read that book from front to back. Yes I try and take the natural approach, but I think that I suffer from migraines, but I have not really talked to a doctor about it since I am pregnant. I am gonna wait until after i have him to see what is going on with me.

I would highly recommend that you see a Chiropractor or Cranio-Sacral Osteopath now, while you're pregnant for correction of the headaches. A good practitioner should be able to adjust any structural issues that could be causing this, and will also be able to make sure that your pelvis is aligned well for your impending birth which would make for an easier birth and recovery.

Here's a link to a website where you can enter the name of a medication and you will learn the maternal and infant levels of the drug, possible effects on breastfed infants and on lactation, and alternatives to consider. It's called LactMed

My favorite way for relieving headache pain is to get a gallon of distilled water and drink as much of it as I can in an hour. If I really work at it, my headache is gone at the end of that hour. It has worked for everyone in our family. It may not work if you have a structural issue (which a Chiropractor could help with) or if you have an allergy to a substance like MSG (my daughter can't tolerate MSG in her food) but it's definitely worth a try, and a safe relief during pregnancy and lactation.

Administrator

Medication and Breastfeeding resources

Some medications are okay during breastfeeding and some are not. I agree with mom2many that try to take the natural route before resorting to medication (whether breastfeeding or not). There are some telephone Helplines that can provide information on medication and breastfeeding. Here are their contact details:
    • Medicines Line consumer information service; phone 1300 MEDICINE (1300 633 424).
    • New South Wales: Mothersafe, Royal Hospital for Womenís Medications in Pregnancy and Lactation Service; phone (02) 9382 6539 (Sydney) or 1800 647 848 (toll free, outside Sydney).
    • Northern Territory: Alcohol and Drug Information Services (ADIS);phone 1800 131 350 (toll free).
    • South Australia: Womenís and Childrenís Hospitalís Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation Information Service; phone (08) 8161 7222.
    • Victoria: Monash Medical Centre, Drug Information Centre; phone (03) 9594 2361.
    • Western Australia: King Edward Memorial Hospital for Womenís Obstetric Drug Information Service; phone (08) 9340 2723.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

I agree with all of the above. Natural is better to try first, but some medications are safe. I also recommend the LACTMed link and the book by Dr. Hale.

As much as possible, you shouldn't take any medications while breastfeeding. Opt for natural ways to treat your ailments. But if you feel that you really have to take some medicine, then be sure that it's safe for your little one. There are medications that are safe for breastfeeding mothers. You may also consult your healthcare provider or lactation consultant for more safe and precise information.