Preconception Issues

Hi Everyone! Can anyone advice me on pre-conception issues? I have tried everything from making myself and my husband healthy in order for me to get pregnant, to no avail I am still not pregnant after 3 years. We have gone to several doctors and all of them has the same diagnosis that I have a healthy reproductive system. Your thoughts and advises will truly be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi jhayzhelle1984,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems conceiving. I know that this is very difficult when you want a baby so much.

How often do you and your husband make love? Are you aware that you can only get pregnant for approximately 3 days during each month? If you miss this 'fertile period' then you will not conceive. This can be an issue if one of you works away for the same days each months and you keep missing the fertile period. Have you tried using an ovulation tracking kit?

There is an excellent post here on the signs of fertility written by Kate who is one of our moderators. Looking out for these natural signs of fertility can really help.

Do you have regular periods? PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is a common cause of infertility in women, although I would have thought that your doctors would check this. What fertility tests did you have? A common associated symptom of PCOS is being overweight. However, even if you do not have PCOS then being overweight can reduce fertility levels.

Has your husband's fertility levels also been checked? This is really important if you are struggling to conceive.

It is best to avoid alcohol, smoking and drink plenty of water when you are trying to conceive. You should also try to exercise regularly and keep stress to a minimum.

Please could I ask how old you are? Unfortunately a woman's fertility levels start to significantly decrease after age 35 and some women need fertility treatment after this time.

Have you had a look at this helpful article on Preconception Care on the main Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond site?

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Thinking of you,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 18th April 2014 at 09:28 PM.

There is an iPhone app called Clue that I have found really useful for keeping track of what my body is doing and where I'm at in my cycle. It has lots of information and it's definitely given me more insight into what to expect from myself every month. It adapts over time and can at least give you an indication of when to expect your 'fertile period'. I have no affiliation, just thought it might help, you never know.

Thanks for sharing this zchristensen - everything helps when you are trying to conceive.

LJ