Improve brestfeed?

My question is regarding Breastfeeding. I am a mother to a newly born baby. I have observed that he cries a lot during the day and night as well. The baby wants to be Breastfed all the time, as if he is not full or satisfied. I have also noticed that my breast milk is not adequate for him.

• So is there a possible way to increase the milk supply?
    • If yes, please suggest me how can I do that?
    • Is it that he is getting used to breastfeeding as pacifier?

Dear SAHM,

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your new baby.

Many new mums worry that their baby is not getting enough breastmilk but it is actually quite rare to not be able to produce enough breastmilk for your baby in the first 6 months of life (when exclusive breastfeeding is recommended). It is important to feed your baby on demand day and night. Many newborn babies will need to feed every 2-3 hours in the day and night and they may feed for up to 45 minutes at a time. This is normal and it is important to feed your baby whenever they show any signs that they may want feeding (these are known as feeding cues) so that your body continues to produce enough breastmilk for your baby.

It is also really important that you have a good latch. A lactation consultant or a breastfeeding peer support worker or midwife should check the latch. If the baby does not have a good latch then they will not be able to breastfeed efficiently from the breast and it will also be painful for you. I have written a detailed post here about getting a good latch with links to some excellent resources on this. Please do have a read of this.

The best way to increase your milk supply is to put your baby to the breast more frequently. You could also express milk between feeds (this will also lead to your milk supply increasing) but I would advise that you go along to your local breastfeeding support group if you are thinking about this as they can offer you more support with this.

If you give your baby any formula (even for one feed a day) then this will lead to your breastmilk supply decreasing. Your midwife should support you to breastfeed your baby.

Breastfeeding is not merely a means of nutritional and developmental benefit to your baby (although these benefits are great which is why you are doing the very best for your baby by breastfeeding) - it is also a means for comfort, bonding and developing social skills (for instance, by close contact and eye-to-eye contact). It is a wonderful thing that babies will be comforted on the breast. The words of Paula Yount spring to mind and I hope you find them encouraging:

'You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier.'

It is normal and natural for a new baby to be on the breast for the majority of their waking hours. Wearing your baby close to you in a supportive sling (a stretchy sling is great at this age) can help you to have your hands free and feed your baby on the move (with practice). Safe co-sleeping (following the Unicef guidelines) can also help you and your baby with those night-time breastfeeds.

I hope this is helpful for you. I know how hard it is at first but it does get easier and you are doing a wonderful job.

Please post back and let us know how you are and post any further questions you have.

Warm wishes,
    LJ