Question Ideal use of Carriers

I have a 3-month old baby and she is starting to have control of her neck and head. She's also gaining weight that sometimes it strains my arms whenever I carry her for a long time in a lying position. My husband thought of getting her a baby carrier so it would be easy for us to move around most especially when doing errands. Is it safe for this age to be placed on a vertical/standing position? What is the ideal age for infants to use a baby carrier?

Hi charibelle_925,

You know I have the same question. When I started using the carrier was when he was 4th month old. He just started then control his neck. I am also thinking that he might have a back problem someday or whatsoever.. I hope not. Now that he is on his 7th months,we started using a walker to support his legs. Mums sometimes are too protective that I need to find out what harms and what doesn't.

Administrator

Baby Carriers Suitable from Birth

HI Charibelle_925 and Mom2Rajan - baby carriers can be safely used from birth. You need to choose a carrier appropriate to the age of your baby. Carriers suitable from birth include the Manduca, Ergo and wraps. There are many others that you can use as well. I am sure others on this forum can provide you with lots of information on the benefits and downfalls of the different carriers available. You don't need to wait for head control as the babies are well supported in some of the carriers. You can see some different slings and carriers in action at one the Pregnancy and Parenting Networks I held at my home. To see the slings and carrier photos visit this thread of the forum.

You may be able to find a baby wearing class somewhere near your home. You could try Googling 'baby wearing classes' to see what comes up.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Thank you Mom2Rajan and aussiemidwife. I visited the thread of the forum, slings and carriers. I think it is a good idea to make use of the sling rather than the carrier for my 3-month old baby to support her head and neck. I hope I'll learn how to do it through instructions or better yet, I hope there is a baby wearing class in our place.

Hi charibelle_925,

I think babywearing is amazing: my baby boy loves it! He feels confident as he is close to me and he is very sociable as he is at a level that he can easily make eye contact with people. It's also great for having your hands free and for comfortably distributing a baby's weight across your body.

I would recommend a carrier such as the Kari Me: you can see a photo of us using this here. It is suitable from birth including in the vertical position that you were asking about. You can provide extra support to the baby's head by supporting the head with the fabric in the vertical position (rather than having it free from the fabric).

I really can't recommend babywearing enough!

Babywearing has been a wonderful way to keep my babies close and keep my hands free. You can use carries from birth, but it is important to make sure the baby's head and neck are supported, as well as the spine. You don't want the baby's legs dangling low, as it is harmful to the spine and hips. I have used mei tai carries, as well as ring slings and pouches. I also have a soft structured carried, but I saved that for my babies who were older. If you find a carrier you like, please feel free to ask any questions about it, such as how to use it and how to make sure your baby is being worn safely. Some carriers do not provide adequate support to the baby's legs and hips, so please feel free to ask about one before you buy it.

Nice photos of baby carriers you have ljmarsden. Now I am more confident to use a baby carrier. I have the Infantino brand which fits just right for her age. Thank you for sharing your insights.

Hi Jessica,

As a mother we really want the best for our baby. That is why I wanted to make sure that I have a good brand/type of baby carrier. Thank you for the advise.

Hi Jessica,

As a mother we really want the best for our baby. That is why I wanted to make sure that I have a good brand/type of baby carrier. Thank you for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by charibelle_925 View Post
    Nice photos of baby carriers you have ljmarsden. Now I am more confident to use a baby carrier. I have the Infantino brand which fits just right for her age. Thank you for sharing your insights.
    I'm glad you are feeling more confident charibelle_925 and that you liked the pics! Which Infantino carrier do you have? It's good to get a baby used to being in a carrier from a young age. As Jessica says, please feel free to ask more questions about babywearing here. We would love to hear how you get on too.

Hi ljmarsden,

The Infantino carrier I got for my baby is the Swift Classic Carrier. It is easy to use and comfortable not only to me but also to my baby because of the soft straps.

I hope you get on well with it charibelle_925. I had a look on the specifications of this carrier and it is suitable up to 10kg (which is approximately a baby 9 months old). You may want to have a try of a carrier that can also be worn on the back after this one for when your baby is heavier. I find wearing my baby on my back (in the Mei Tai) is most comfortable for longer walks. Let us know how you find it!

Thank you ljmarsden. For now, I am comfortable using my Infantino baby carrier because aside from its compatibility with my baby's age and weight, it is comfortable to use. Maybe when my baby grows a little older and heavier, I will try wearing carriers on my back to prevent straining.

Sounds good to me if it's comfortable for you charibelle_925

Wearing your baby on your front is perfectly fine as long as your carrier distributes the baby's weight evenly so you feel comfortable.