Hybrid View

Smile Behavior Correction

Hello,

I have a 7-month old child, a male. I have been noticing that he gets quite irritable at times. I never want to scold him because he is still too young but at what age can I start correcting my child when he is doing something wrong? I don't want him to grow up hard headed... well, I understand that he is still very young and he is so adorable. I want him to stay that way forever but I have to accept it that he is growing up and I want to mould him to be a very nice boy.

I hope you can share stories that would help me raise my child well.

Thank you

Hello Mom2Rajan,

First of all, congrats on your sweet little boy. You are correct, 7 months old is still to young for discipline. I'm not quite clear on what he is doing that has you worried. If he is irritable he may be overtired, over stimulated or under stimulated. I found with my boys that switching things up made all the difference. Let's say they were be extra irritable and whiny, I might take them for a walk outside, read them a story, pick them up and dance with them, sing songs, let them play in the bath (with me right there of course) and any thing that I could think of that might distract them and gt their mind off whatever was bothering them.

Sometimes just running some water in the sink and them them spash about made a world of difference. When all else failed it was time to eat and nap

Take a look at the Parenting section here on the website there is a lot of wonderful information there, including information on Gentle Parenting. Of course there are a lot of Mums in the forums who can advise you as well.

Cheers,
    Christie

Thank you, DoubleSunshine

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSunshine View Post
    Hello Mom2Rajan,

First of all, congrats on your sweet little boy. You are correct, 7 months old is still to young for discipline. I'm not quite clear on what he is doing that has you worried. If he is irritable he may be overtired, over stimulated or under stimulated. I found with my boys that switching things up made all the difference. Let's say they were be extra irritable and whiny, I might take them for a walk outside, read them a story, pick them up and dance with them, sing songs, let them play in the bath (with me right there of course) and any thing that I could think of that might distract them and gt their mind off whatever was bothering them.

Sometimes just running some water in the sink and them them spash about made a world of difference. When all else failed it was time to eat and nap

Take a look at the Parenting section here on the website there is a lot of wonderful information there, including information on Gentle Parenting. Of course there are a lot of Mums in the forums who can advise you as well.

Cheers,
    Christie

Sometimes when he is being fed and the the one who's feeding him would take time before giving the food, he would walk fast using his walker crying and then goes to the corner of the room. The feeder will not be able to give him food unless he/she says sorry... When he stops crying, that's the time he's ready for his next scoop of food. Is it normal for all babies?

Hi Mom2Rajan,

I agree that 7 months is too young to know what is right and wrong. At this age babies want to touch everything and find out about the world: they don't understand that some things are breakable or dangerous. In my experience I've found when a baby seems irritable at this age he may be frustrated at not being able to explore the world through his senses. You could make him a box full of materials of different textures and objects of different shapes and sounds he can investigate. This can be inexpensive as baby's love household objects - one of my baby's favourite things to do is play with pots and pans in the kitchen!
    Let us know how you get on,
    Laura

Thank you ljmarsden... It's a great idea to have a box filled with different materials that would interest him. I am so happy I am learning from all of you here. Thanks for sharing your brialliant ideas with me=)

I agree with the above, at 7 months your little one is too young to know the difference between right and wrong, so he should not be disciplined. What is it that he is doing that you are concerned with? Babies can be over- or under-stimulated, tired, bored and sometimes just irritable. If he is starting to become mobile, then he probably wants to explore everything. You should give him opportunities to do this in a good way, with sensory boxes filled with different items. You can also try a change of scenery, and go outside or to another room. Try playing a game, letting him rest, reading a book, or singing a song. If you notice him trying to get into things he shouldn’t, then simply redirect his attention to something else. You can say no (not yell or scream) if he tries to touch something you don't want him too or something dangerous, but redirection works better for younger babies and toddlers. It is also a really good time to child-proof everything if he is starting to crawl or roll around.

Thank you for the brilliant thought. I will surely try doing it. My boy seems very impatient when eating. he wants to be fed really fast and when it takes time before you can give another spoon of his meal, he turns away crying and he never comes back until you hug him and say sorry to him... We find it cute but it might lead to something intolerable as he grows up.

I'm glad you are finding the comments useful Mom2Rajan.

Some children do like to eat off a spoon quickly - this sounds normal to me. Have you started giving him any finger food he can feed himself yet? As long as it is low in salt and not something he can choke on many children enjoy feeding themselves (you can do this alongside spoon feeding). For example, you could try a stick of juicy mango or some par-boiled carrots (that have cooled down). Your son may be happier with feeding himself so that he can control how fast he eats. My son has followed 'baby led weaning' which means that he has been given a big variety of foods to feed himself from 6 months. At first we offered him the foods when he was not hungry or tired (his hunger was satisfied by milk from 6-12 months).

Good luck with the feeding - I'm sure it will get easier every day. As your son gets older he will become more skilled at eating and manipulating the food himself as he develops further. He is still young: we had the baby led weaned mantra 'before your one, food is for fun'! A lot of eating at this age is about trying out tastes, textures and smells as a 7 month old baby is still getting by far most of their nutrients from milk.

Mom2Rajan ~ I absolutely agree with ljmarsden. I don't see anything out of the ordinary with how he is acting. He is really in the learning food phase now. I would just make sure to bottle/breastfeed first and then you know he has all the nutrients he needs then when you feed him food you can just let him take his time and get used to all the new tasts and textures. My boys also loved finger foods that were age appropriate.

Good luck and please let us know if you have any other questions

Mom2Rajan,

The pattern of him going off to the corner and "demanding" (in his own way) that you say you're sorry, before he takes his next bite, is something that you'll want to stop doing right away. You are wise in thinking that this could set up an unhealthy pattern in the future.

If he's able to "run away", even if it's in his walker or by crawling, you'll want to establish eating time in a seat so that he can't move away. If he turns his head or shows in some other way that he's unhappy you can immediately, sternly but lovingly, correct him. You can actually say, "That's not okay. I won't let you push your food away (or push me away, or whatever it is doing that is not okay)." That tells him his boundaries and that you're in control, which will feel good to him (a young child feels insecure when they don't know their boundaries).

I like DoubleSunshine's suggestion to give him his bottle or breast feed him before trying to feed him solid foods. This way he won't be "ravenously hungry" and the problem you're seeing of him being so hungry that you can't feed him fast enough will be alleviated because you will know that he is full or at least full enough to not have to eat quickly.

Consistency with him may be very key. You may have a strong willed child on your hands, and if your a complacent parent you'll need to learn how to let him know his boundaries so that he doesn't end up controlling you (and everyone around him).

You may be interested in reading a post I wrote I wrote called "Understanding personalities makes for a happy family."

Post back here and let me know what you think.

Warm regards,

Kate