Thread: Fit older mum

Fit older mum

I was forty when my last baby was born. Now I have a delightful, super-active little boy. What are reasonable fitness goals for a mom my age, and how do I reach those goals?

Dear 3generationhome (what an interesting forum name!),

Your little boy sounds lovely. I am sure he helps to keep you active!

How would you describe your current fitness level and overall health? This starting point should help with setting some of your short term goals. Obviously eating a healthy, varied diet should go hand-in-hand with your exercise regime.

Try to aim for 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise (continuously) 5 times a week. You can then build this up to 45 minutes and then 1 hour. If you have had a period of not exercising so much then you could begin at 15 minutes 5 times a week. Examples of cardiovascular exercise include: swimming, cycling, jogging, zumba, circuit training etc

You should also aim to maintain your muscle mass. This can be achieved by doing some resistance training twice a week i.e. weight training typically at the gym.

There are many useful fitness goal setting apps available to help you monitor your progress.

Good on you for looking after your body!

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks. I try to walk every day and use arm weights a few times each week. I'm sure not ready for swimming or zumba, but those give me some good goals.

Excellent. You'll probably find that you are ready for zumba in a number of months. As for swimming, you could take this very slowly at first - it's an excellent cardiovascular exercise.

LJ