Hybrid View

Are ultrasounds 100% accurate?

Hello ladies! I'm a mother of 2 wonderful and beautiful girls, who couldn't be more blessed! I am also currently pregnant with my 3rd child. My symptoms now are totally different from the previous pregnancies I've had. I had an ultrasound last Tuesday and the doctor said that I was having another girl, but it took him quite a while to find out the gender. I just wanted to know if ultrasounds are 100% accurate and if there is any possibility that the doctor could be wrong? Thank you for your answers.

Dear Teenmotherof3,

Welcome to the Pregnancy, Birth and beyond forum! Congratulations on your pregnancy!

The sex prediction at an ultrasound is not 100% accurate; it is slightly less accurate when the predicted sex is given as a girl compared to a boy. How many weeks pregnant were you at your ultrasound? From 18 weeks the sex prediction is very accurate (but it is never given as a certainty).

Best wishes,
    LJ

Thank you very much for your reply LJ! I was 21 weeks when I got the ultrasound, so I guess it's pretty accurate. I was really hoping for a boy, but I am still more than happy with another girl.

Warm regards,
    Doriza

Hi Doriza,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes at 21 weeks the ultrasound sex prediction should be very accurate.

I hope you enjoy bonding with your baby in the rest of your pregnancy.

Warm wishes,
    LJ