Milk for the baby

I delivered a bout 10 days ago and since the third day my milk has declined which is making me get worried since i don't want to introduce formula milk to my baby boy,
    kindly help.

tshirumorry,

Congrads on your new little one.

I am so excited to hear that you are breastfeeding, Breast milk is the best possible food to offer your new born baby up to 12 months of age and longer....

A typical newborn baby should breastfeed 10 to 12 times in a 24hr period. Remember to nurse at the first signs of hunger (stirring, hands in mouth) don't wait till baby is crying. That is a late hunger cue. You can not nurse to much in those first few months.

We also look for proper weight gain in the first few weeks. Baby should gain on average 6oz every week after birth.
    The best way to check this is to have your baby weigh by a health care practitioner.

Baby should also have 3 to 4 stools per day as well as 6 to 8 wets per day.
    This will insure that baby is taking in exactly what he needs in the beginning.

For what ever reason you feel that he is not gaining well, please to seek out professional help from a Lactation Consultant or La Leche League leader.

What sort of signs are you seeing that makes you feel worried?

Please do check back with us if you have any further questions about your baby and nursing.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, my worry is because my boobs have shrunk within those days and they are very small right now,so am not sure if they have enough milk for my boy.

Your breast are able to accommodate your babies growing needs. Shape and size will change to meet the growing demands of your baby.
    The most important clues, as I mentioned above is how often baby nurses during the day and the wet and soiled diapers per day.
    Are you seeing a change in that aspect?

Yes I certainly second sunnymumof5's advice above. Please do get in touch with LLL or your local breastfeeding support group or a lactation consultant. It's really important that the latch is right. If your baby is not latched onto the breast correctly then they will not to be able to effectively and efficiently remove enough breastmilk. Please have a look at this previous forum post where I put together some detailed information and resources on getting a good latch.

Also remember that breastmilk works on a supply and demand basis; you need to put your baby to the breast often enough to feed in order to tell your body to produce enough milk for your baby. Many newborn babies feed every 2 hours in the day and night.

We look forward to hearing from you.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Baby should gain on average 6oz every week after birth.