Thread: Injured breasts

Hybrid View

Injured breasts

Help! The other night my son and I were playing on our bed when he accidentally kicked my right breast very hard. It was really painful and the pain did not subside. Today I can feel half of my right breast formed a huge and very hard lump, and it is warm and red! What should I do? Should I still breastfeed my bub on the affected side?

Hi,

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that.

Yes it is still safe to continue to breastfeed.

Does it hurt more when you feed?

It does sound more like mastitis? I'm just wondering if your son kicking you accidentally happened to coincide with you having mastitis, or do you think not?

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello LJ,

Yes it hurts when I feed my son. The swelling and redness did not subside yet, and my breast feels warm. What should I do? Do I need to go to a doctor? I am not sure if this coincided with mastitis because I did not feel any plugged ducts lately.

Regards,
    Kimdamycin

Hi,

I'm sorry you are still uncomfortable - yes I would see your doctor if it is hurting when you are feeding.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello LJ,

I went to see a doctor yesterday and you were right, it is indeed mastitis! I was prescribed with antibiotics and was told never to stop breastfeeding. I should empty my breasts regularly.

Thanks for the help! I feel quite better now.

Regards,
    Kimdamycin

I'm so pleased you saw your doctor and are getting the right treatment for mastitis. Yes that's right it's really important that the breast is fully drained particularly when you have mastitis.

I'm really glad you are feeling better.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ