Hybrid View

Chances of getting pregnant for older women

Do older women over 40 who have never used or been on contraceptives have a higher chance of conceiving than those who have been using contraceptives?

Dear LuckyM,

Thank you for your question.

As I'm sure you are aware from age 35 years a woman's fertility levels start to decrease quite significantly. By age 40 she has around a 40% chance of conceiving in a year of trying; by age 44 this has dropped dramatically to just 5%.

When you say contraceptives are you referring to the birth control pill or other types of contraceptives too?

In terms of birth control pills and fertility levels, research seems to indicate that being on the pill for 5 years gives a woman similar fertility levels to someone who has not used contraceptive pills for this time (and is the same age and in the same general health). The research is a bit mixed on this topic but overall it shows similar fertility levels 6 months after stopping the pill.

Sometimes being on the pill can help to regulate your cycles if you are having problems with this and this can help with getting pregnant. However, as I say above it is unfortunately generally quite difficult for women over 40 years of age to conceive.

Is this the information you were looking for?

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hi,
    Yes, this is the information I was looking for.

Thanks.