Thread: Delivery Method

Delivery Method

Recently, my friend was in labour for more than 15 hours only to end up having a C section because of complications. Is it ever a good idea for women to choose to have a C- section upfront and what are the advantages or disadvantages?

Dear LuckyM,

I'm sorry to hear that it sounds like your friend did not have a positive birth experience. This is a great shame.

The average time to be in active labour with your first baby is 12 hours (this is from when a woman is around 5cm dilated). The average total labour time for a first baby is 18 hours. So your friend's labour length is quite average.

Having a vaginal labour reduces many medical risks to mum and baby and this is why it is recommended by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) for the majority of women.

I am sorry to hear about your friend's experience because, whatever your journey of labour, it can be an empowering and positive experience. Attending a good antenatal class can help you with this, and many women find that extra help such as Hypnobirthing classes or having a doula can be invaluable. There is now also the positive birth movement; hearing other women's birth stories can make such a difference.

In terms of the risks of a c-section this unfortunately include:
    -pain and recovery after the operation
    -risk of infection (in the wound, your uterus or from a UTI)
    -blood clot
    -adhesions
    -anesthetic risks

It is recommended that if you have had a normal pregnancy then a vaginal birth is safer than a c-section for both mum and baby.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hi,
    It sounds like a C-section has many risks. I'll consider them when that time comes.
    Thanks.

Dear LuckyM,

You are welcome.

Yes you are right; because of the risks a c-section is only recommended when strictly medically necessary.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks ljmarsden for the informative forum.

Maureen