Sickle Cell Trait

How do women with sickle cell trait reduce the chances of passing the trait to their new born baby when they decide to have a family?

Dear LuckyM,

A baby can only be born with sickle cell disease if both parents carry this disease (note that it is possible to carry the disease without having the symptoms). If both parents carry the gene for sickle cell disease then with each pregnancy there is a 1 in 4 chance that the baby will inherit this condition. Unfortunately I am not currently aware of anything the parents can do to change the likelihood of this.

Do you suffer from sickle cell disease?

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Yes, I have the sickle cell trait. Maybe it would be a good idea to have the man and woman tested for the trait before planning on having a child?

So you have sickle cell trait but not sickle cell disease? I assume then that you were tested for this already and this is how you know you have this trait. Yes you are right; in cases like yours it is advised that the man is tested (via a blood test) before you start trying to conceive. This then gives you better information about the chance of a baby having sickle cell disease.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

That is right. After tests, I learned that I have the trait, not the disease.

Thanks. I will see to it that he is tested for sickle cell trait before we plan to have a baby.

I think that would be wise.

Wishing you all the best,
    LJ

Thanks for the great advice ljmarsden.

Kind regards.

Maureen