Hybrid View

Question Bleeding on the 2nd Trimester of Pregnancy

I was on my way home from work, tired from walking up and down from a two-story building, when I felt a sudden gush of blood coming out from me. My husband rushed me to the hospital and I was given immediate care. I didn't feel any abdominal pain or cramping. Laboratory tests were done such as urinalysis and complete blood count. I was diagnosed to have a urinary tract infection. Other than that, my doctor requested the staff nurses for me to have an ultrasound to check if my baby is doing good inside. The placenta was intact and it was on the right position on the uterus. Nothing unusual was seen. I was then confined for two days under close monitoring and complete bed rest. I was given medications; Amoxicillin for my infection; and Isoxilan to control the uterine contractions. My doctor said that I was having Threatened Abortion and did not further explain it. If it was indeed a threatened miscarriage, why did I not feel any pain from my abdomen?

I found this article on the site that may help answer your questions Bleeding in Early Pregnancy it explains that there may or may not be pain associated with a Thretened Abortion as well as some other information you may find helpful.

How are you feeling now?

Administrator
    You do not necessarily feel pain before vaginal bleeding. Bleeding can be the first sign of a threatened miscarriage. FYI - urinary tract infections can cause miscarriage. This is why pregnant women are (or should be) screened in early pregnancy. Are you taking cranberry tablets? These can help prevent future urinary tract infections (and can help you get over the current infection). Make sure you take the full course of antibiotics. As antibiotics can kill good bacteria, as well as the bacteria that is causing your infection, - it is a great idea to take some probiotics to help rebalance your body.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Thank you DoubleSunshine for that article. It was very useful. I am doing good now. Despite from having a threatened miscarriage, I was able to deliver full-term to a healthy baby girl just last November.

Thank you for the advice. It's only now that I knew that urinary tract infections can be a factor of miscarriage. Aside from the antibiotics, I always make sure that I drink lots of fluids such as water and cranberry juice which is indeed I find very helpful for me.

What could be the reason/s for spotting/slight bleeding? I actually have experienced this twice during this pregnancy, my third. I didn't have this before with my previous two pregnancies. Is this something that I should be alarmed of?

Anytime you have bleeding you should contact your midwife or doctor to let them know so that they can help you decide whether it's something that needs attention.

Some women do have slight bleeding/spotting at different times during their pregnancies, and I would guess that sometimes it's hormonal related. Your hormones change a LOT during pregnancy in order to support the pregnancy and to prepare for birth. This can be threatening to the baby or it can just be slight and non-threatening.

That's about all I know, other than sometimes falling can cause bleeding or any kind of trauma to the body - even exercising more than usual or doing a different exercise than you're used to can cause bleeding. Best to choose your care provider wisely and then always check with her if you have any concerns at all.

Warm regards,

Kate