First Time Mum, looking for tips in Expressing Breastmilk and Breastmilk Storage

Good day Mums,

I am a first time Mum and I have a few questions.

I am exclusively direct breastfeeding my little one for 16 months now. I am planning to apply for a job which requires me to report in the office for at least 6 hours a day. So here's my concern, my daughter never used a feeding bottle since I'm a stay-at-home Mum, how do I teach her to use and drink expressed milk from the bottle? How do I express milk? Is it better to hand express or use a breast pump? How do I store it?

Thank you so much Mums.

Tina

Hi Tina,

Welcome to the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond forum - it's good to have you join us here.

Congratulations on your healthy breastfeeding relationship with your daughter - this is great to hear. At this age I would advise that your daughter drinks the expressed breastmilk from a cup. Have you heard of the doidy cup? The doidy cup is recommended by speech and language therapists because it strengthens important muscles in the mouth and does not lead to the teeth protruding (like a bottle can). It is also a good transition cup from drinking directly at the breast.

If you did want to use a bottle then there are those which try to simulate the breastfeeding latch: such as the Breastflow. However, it is quite likely that your daughter won't want to use a bottle (this is not a problem - its great that she has had all that direct access to the breast) and it also wouldn't be best for her teeth.

How is her eating? Do you practice 'baby led weaning'? Does she drink any cows milk (its fine if not but I just wondered if she had this in a cup)?

Some mums prefer a manual breastpump and some an electric breastpump. Some hospitals/breastfeeding groups will allow you to hire them and this would be best as then you can try both. Have a look at this article on expressing breastmilk. In this previous post I go through the advantages of each type of pump. I hope you find this helpful.

In terms of storing the breastmilk; you can safely keep expressed breastmilk:

- at room temperature for 8-10 hours
    - in the fridge for 8 days (it is best stored at the back of the fridge)
    - in the freezer for 3-12 months depending on the type of freezer and how often the freezer door is opened

Milk storage bags are great for storing your breastmilk in. Another option is to use a plastic container in the fridge or a glass container in the freezer. Note that the expressed breastmilk needs to be gently shaken before given to the baby because it will separate into the hindmilk and foremilk layers.

Your employer must give you breaks to express your breastmilk in a suitable private room and give you access to a suitable fridge to store it in.

Please don't hesitate to post back if you have any further questions about this.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hi LJ,

Thank you for the quick response.

I tried giving her expressed breastmilk in a cup, she took a few sips, I think she knows it's Mum's milk. she finished it. I'm so happy. I might not try giving her expressed breastmilk in a bottle, she uses Pigeon bottles for water and juices, she didn't like the milk in the bottle. I am now working on building a stash, I do manual hand expression by the way, my input is only 2oz.

Regarding her feeding, yes she is on baby led weaning since her first intake of solid foods at 6 months old. I came across this method thru internet research. The BLW method is so great, she eats practically almost anything, except for nuts of course. We didn't give her mashed veggies, she started with ripe avocado then steamed vegetables.

Regards,
    Tina

Hi Tina,

It sounds like you are doing a great job. I'm glad that she took expressed breastmilk in a cup. You should find expressing gets easier and quicker. Obviously once your daughter is at the breast less if you express at the the times she would have been feeding you will be able to express this milk. It takes a few days for the body to adapt to any change in supply.

Yes baby led weaning is great isn't it. It helps the baby to eat at their pace and does not substitute from the breastmilk.

Warm wishes,
    LJ