birthing options

Hello my name is Paula,
    I was just wondering if you could give me some advice as I have two children one natural and one by c section and I am a bit concerned that I may have to have another c section could you let me know what my options are. Is it safe to go ahead with a natural birth? I would love not to have a section again but at the end of the day I want what is safe for my baby.

Dear Paula,

Thank you for your question. Please could I ask what was the medical reason that you had a c-section with your second baby? This will be an important factor in determining whether you could go on and have a natural, vaginal birth in the future.

The good news in that most women are able to achieve a VBAC (vaginal birth after a c-section). There is around an 80% success rate in achieving a VBAC. This is a good option to consider as there are many risks with having a c-section (including the increased risk of infection to both mum and baby). With a VBAC there is a very small risk of the uterine scar rupturing in labour (less than 0.5%) and then an emergency c-section would be performed. However, if you choose to have a VBAC then you would be carefully monitored in labour to check that this was not happening.

If you want to have a VBAC then its really important to have a supportive midwife/ other medical staff. I would also recommend that you have a look at these resources on VBAC so that you are armed with the research and can make an informed decision.

Please post back if you have any further question on VBAC; it is a pleasure to support you with this.

Warm wishes,
    LJ