Breastfeeding While Pregnant

Hi,

I am planning to conceive next year. How can I still continue to breastfeed my son while being pregnant? I read about articles that breastfeeding while pregnant causes the Mum to experience contractions.

Hi aicapen,

Thank you for posting this important question.

The recommendation from the medical profession is now that it is safe to breastfeed throughout pregnancy. Many years ago there was some research looking into if breastfeeding could increase the risk of miscarriage through simulating contractions but this has now been discounted.

Breastfeeding throughout pregnancy is a wonderful way to continue bonding with your son as your new baby is growing. If you choose to, you can then tandem feed your two children together. The body is amazing at producing the right breastmilk for this (many women feed their newborn first in this instance). Remember breastmilk is produced on a supply and demand basis - so when you are tandem feeding two children then the more you breastfeed the more breastmilk will be produced.

Women who breastfeed in pregnancy sometimes find that their breastmilk supply temporarily drops and they also may find that their nipples are more sensitive. These feelings tend to pass.

There is a detailed article here on the main part of the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond site about Breastfeeding through Pregnancy.

How old is your son? Congratulations on breastfeeding.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

My son is 16 months. My son has been breastfeeding exclusively since he was born.