pregnancy after termination

One month ago I went through a nightmare. I had to terminate pregnancy due to medical reason. I was 23 weeks when I was induced. It was due to birth defect in a fetus. In few months I would like to try again to get pregnant. I know I need time to recover but I was wondering how soon can we try again?

Dear via23,

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. That is heartbreaking.

Generally speaking, you should be able to start to try to conceive straight away. However, you should think about giving yourself time to heal physically and emotionally.

Have you discussed this with your doctor? This would be wise. Do you know if the birth defect is any more likely to occur with subsequent pregnancies? I know this will be a difficult subject to talk about. Your doctor should again discuss this with you.

You have my thoughts,
    LJ

Thank you LJ
    I did ask my doctor about these questions. I was told by genetic counselling that it is about 2 to 3% chance of reoccurrence, however there are still some genetic tests that are being done and we are waiting for confirmation. My family doctor recommended to wait 3 cycles. My midwife suggested 6. Now I don't know how long to wait since I got different opinion.