Hello Miss Eimee,

First of all I would encourage you to find a practitioner that you feel comfortable with. Not one who talks at you and who doesn't take the time to really listen and answer your questions. Every doctor, midwife and practitioner is different and you'll be able to find someone you really like if you take the time to ask around to find out which practitioners others really like. You can also interview midwives and doctors. The ones who are most open to taking the time to talk to you before you hire them will likely be the ones you'll want to partner with for your care (and yes, it is a "partnership").

My very first thought about your irregular cycles that happen only 2 or 3 times a year and that seems to be hereditary is that you may have PCOS. This is Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome and it's becoming more and more prevalent.

Women with PCOS tend to:

Gain weight around the middle/tummy area

Have acne on their face and/or back

Have hair growth on their upper lip or chin (facial hair)

Have periods only a few times a year.

You can do some things to naturally regulate your cycles and balance hormones. Exercising for at least 30 minutes every day (without stopping) is a good start. Avoiding all refined sugar is another helpful tip.

Here's another thread on this forum that discusses PCOS. I hope you'll find some helpful information there.

Warm regards,

Kate