Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hello Miss Eimee,

First of all I would encourage you to find a practitioner that you feel comfortable with. Not one who talks at you and who doesn't take the time to really listen and answer your questions. Every doctor, midwife and practitioner is different and you'll be able to find someone you really like if you take the time to ask around to find out which practitioners others really like. You can also interview midwives and doctors. The ones who are most open to taking the time to talk to you before you hire them will likely be the ones you'll want to partner with for your care (and yes, it is a "partnership").

My very first thought about your irregular cycles that happen only 2 or 3 times a year and that seems to be hereditary is that you may have PCOS. This is Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome and it's becoming more and more prevalent.

Women with PCOS tend to:

Gain weight around the middle/tummy area

Have acne on their face and/or back

Have hair growth on their upper lip or chin (facial hair)

Have periods only a few times a year.

You can do some things to naturally regulate your cycles and balance hormones. Exercising for at least 30 minutes every day (without stopping) is a good start. Avoiding all refined sugar is another helpful tip.

Here's another thread on this forum that discusses PCOS. I hope you'll find some helpful information there.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hey Kate,

Thanks for replying! Yea, most of my friends discourage me from going back to that doctor. You know what, it's a small town and most of the women I know that knows her too avoid her! Anyway, I guess it's high time to look for a doctor that cares hey. Lol.

Hmm, you got the facial hair and the fatty tummy area correct. I heard that half hour exercises really help, but I was curious how refined sugars affect periods? Hmmm I may need to do more research on this bec. this piece of advice of yours is also beneficial to my diet. Again, thanks for the insight!

Hello MissEimee,

I apologize for taking so long to answer your question.

First of all, I would encourage you to find another doctor, or - better yet, a midwife. Midwives are usually very caring and they give you far more time than a doctor. A 10 minute doctor visit will be 30 minutes to an hour with a midwife. The midwife wants to ask you questions and wants to answer your questions. She becomes a very dear friend and advocate.

Once you have a new practitioner that you can see, then you may want to ask that practitioner if they can help you rule out PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome). It is very common and the symptom you mention of not having regular periods (i.e. 2 or 3 a year or none at all) is a classic symptom of PCOS.

Here are a few other classic symptoms:

Overweight with extra weight around the tummy/middle (though I've seen PCOS in women who were underweight too)
    Acne on face and/or back
    Hair on upper lip and/or chin

The midwife can order an ultrasound where they will look at your ovaries. There's a classic pattern that can be seen on the ovaries called a rim of pearls. This is where follicles that normally rupture an egg each month, have not ovulated, and have turned into cysts on the periphery of the ovaries. This can usually be seen in an ultra-sound.

Once you have an idea of whether you have PCOS or not, then I can give you ideas on how to naturally reverse this.

Please let me know if you need any help finding a midwife or doctor, and if you have any other questions.

Warm regards,

Kate