Should I be worried?

My menstruation cycle has been quite regular ever since I can remember. However, one week before my menstruation I experienced spotting. At the time I thought one week early was still quite normal. However, the spotting was just that, spotting, and lasted no more than half a day. On the 4th week my menstruation did not arrive. Again, I thought that was normal, perhaps delayed for a few days. On the 5th week I experienced spotting again. Yet again, these were just mere blood drops. I have missed my cycle for the whole month of March and April. I have done two pregnancy tests and both have been negative. Please advise......

Dr drgloria,

I have a few questions for you to help us understand this more fully. What date was your period due? On what dates did you do the pregnancy tests? Did you have unprotected sex during this time?

Are you breastfeeding? Anything is normal with regards to periods when you are breastfeeding!

Have you been under any stress recently? Stress can cause your periods to become reduced and can also cause spotting to occur.

Have you been unwell or low of energy in the last two months? Again this can affect or stop your periods. The same is true of certain types of medication.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

ovarian cyst

Dear ljmarsden,

Now I know the reason. I finally decided to have an ultrasound. They found a cyst in my right ovary and was advised to have my right ovary removed. Short background: a previous cyst was removed from my right ovary while I was pregnant with my son. I was told there was a possibility of such a recurrence and this dreaded thought has always hung over my head. Now I have gone as far as considering having a hysterectomy. That why I won't have to worry about anything else recurring in the future. Is that too drastic???

Hello drgloria,

Do you know what size the cyst is?

Most ovarian cysts will disappear on their own but if they are large or causing other symptoms (as unfortunately in your case) then it is normally recommended that they are removed.

In most cases it is not necessary to have a hysterectomy - your doctor would advise you if he thought you needed this. Your cyst and ovary will be analysed once removed and then you will have more information. I know it is difficult waiting.

Wishing you a quick recovery and the very best.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Dear ljmarsden,

Just to let you know that I already had the operation. Am grateful that the biopsy was negative. Given this, no hysterectomy was needed. However, my doctor did remove my right ovary. Am up and about now, though coughing and laughing still prove to be difficult...

All the best,
    drgloria