Thread: Diet and PCOS

Diet and PCOS

Hi!

I'm new to this forum but I have a question that's been troubling me for some time now.

My husband and I have been married for 4 years now and we still haven't been pregnant. We both love children and would like to have our own. However, I have been diagnosed with PCOS with hormonal imbalance. I'm overweight and my OB-GYN advised me to lose the weight to help improve the production/flow of hormones in my body.

Unfortunately, I did lose weight at some point but I still couldn't get pregnant.

What do you suppose will be a good diet so I can lose more weight and my hormones will also be balanced?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Dear wants2bemum,

I'm sorry to hear that you have not yet been able to conceive. I hope that you conceive very soon.

Has your doctor prescribed any treatment or medication for your PCOS? What are your periods like at the moment? When did you last have a period? The issue with PCOS is that it can cause reduced/ no ovulation. Some women who suffer from PCOS find that being on the pill to regulate their cycles and then trying to conceive in the first cycle in coming off the pill (when you ovulate) enables them to conceive. This is something that you could speak to your doctor about.

In terms of your diet, I know it is difficult to control your weight when you have PCOS but you are right - this is important for your fertility levels. When you have PCOS it is recommended that you keep carbohydrates (including potatoes, bread, pasta and rice) to a minimum and instead eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as you can. You should also aim to eat plenty of wholegrain foods including: oatmeal, quinoa, barley and oats. These release energy slowly so will also help you to snack less often. Try to avoid sugary food and processed foods.

You should aim to exercise at least 45 minutes each day. Swimming is an excellent activity when you have PCOS.

Some PCOS sufferers find that eating smaller, more frequent meals helps them to control their weight easier.

Wishing you all the very best,
    LJ