Breastfeeding and small breasts

My husband and I have been discussing that we would like to breastfeed our children until they're 2 years old. I think it's sweet that he's with me on this but I'm concerned that I won't produce as much milk.

I have small breasts that I know would still get bigger when I get pregnant. However, it's bothering me and I need some assurance that we can do the 2 years without difficulty.

Is there a way to ensure that I get to constantly produce milk for breastfeeding even though I have small breasts?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Wants2BeMum,

Size has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to breastfeed!

No matter what the size or shape of your breasts…the ability to produce breast milk lies in breast tissue. Women with large breasts often have the same amount of breast tissue “milk producing cells” as smaller breasted women.

Even the flattest chested women can breastfeed. Also, remember that a woman’s breasts will mature and grow during pregnancy…you only know your true bra size after having your first baby.

Overall women with smaller breasts usually find latching on and positioning a lot easier than women with large breasts.

The only thing that may make a difference is that a small breasted woman may have a lower storage capacity, which means that she may need to breastfeed more often than a large breasted mother. Breastfeeding on demand will be especially important as to make sure that baby is drinking enough during the day.

Relax and know that you will be able to breastfeed just fine and that YOUR body knows exactly what to do when it comes to pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Blessings

Thanks for the vote of confidence, sunnymumof5! I do want to rely on breastfeeding when it's my turn to have babies and I'm doing all the research I can get my hands on this subject. Aside from it is way cheaper than formula, I've heard it helps in strengthening the bond between mother and child. I'm excited to become a mum myself so I could put all this research into practice.