Vaccines and Autism

I have heard a lot of controversy around vaccines for newborns and whether they can contribute, or even cause, delayed mental growth, including autism. My mother works as an educational assistant in an elementary school and helps autistic students daily. She has told me that some of these student's parents claim that their child acted "differently" after receiving a particular type of vaccination at a regular doctor's visit as a baby. Is there a clear link between vaccinations and autism? Are there certain vaccinations that newborns could do without, or better yet, a natural, alternative way to protective our children rather than injecting them with vaccines?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Natalie

Quote Originally Posted by NatMari View Post
    I have heard a lot of controversy around vaccines for newborns and whether they can contribute, or even cause, delayed mental growth, including autism. My mother works as an educational assistant in an elementary school and helps autistic students daily. She has told me that some of these student's parents claim that their child acted "differently" after receiving a particular type of vaccination at a regular doctor's visit as a baby. Is there a clear link between vaccinations and autism? Are there certain vaccinations that newborns could do without, or better yet, a natural, alternative way to protective our children rather than injecting them with vaccines?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Natalie
    Hi Natalie,

As I understand it the initial research that started this debate has now been revoked due to the doctor manipulating the results. Furthermore, his license was suspended because of this. All subsequent research has shown that there is no link between vaccines and autism as outlined by the article on iflscience titled "Dear parents you are being lied to."

Dear ladies,

A helpful, balanced book on the subject of childhood vaccinations is: The Parents Concise Guide to Childhood Vaccinations by Dr. Lauren Feder.

It is a personal decision for each parent and you can make an informed decision with the amount of research and information out there.

With warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks for the great info ladies, I will be sure to take a look at the book when it comes time for me to make that decision.
    Many thanks,
    Natalie

Hi Tamara,
    I was unaware of that and will do some further research of my own. Thanks very much for the article reference and for bringing this to my attention.
    Natalie

Is this true?

What in particular Debbie? I would recommend reading the evidence on both sides of the vaccine debate. What are your thoughts generally on this subject?

Thanks for your comments,
    LJ

I am not really that educated when it comes to vaccines. All I know is that after your baby underwent Newborn Screening, when he/she is positive with G6PD etc., it can be cured since it has been detected earlier. I was just saddened that vaccines can cause more damage.

Vaccines do have some risks but each parent needs to weigh up these risks for their individual child against the likelihood to the disease being contracted and the likely symptoms associated with the disease.

Warm wishes,
    LJ