Hybrid View

Terrible morning sickness

Hello!

I have been experiencing terrible morning sickness since about one month ago.

It has gotten to the point that I have not been able to leave the house in order to do anything, including attend my classes.

I have tried crackers and warm cola, but nothing eases my stomach.

The doctor advised me that I've lost four pounds already and I worry that it should be the other way around...

Do you have any suggestions so I can get back on my feet and not miss class and continue to lose weight?

Thank you!

Hello imagine.forever,

It's not uncommon to lose weight during the first trimester simply because of nausea and vomiting that is so common during the first few months of pregnancy (with my first it lasted 5 months). However, don't be concerned about not gaining weight during this time simply because your bub will put on most of his weight during the last couple of months before birth. At the end of the first trimester, baby is still tucked behind your pubic bone and is only 2 inches long, from crown to rump (top of head to his bottom).

Women who are even slightly underweight often have a hard time conceiving, and this is because the body knows that it will need a little "reserve fat" in the first few months of pregnancy. If the doctor is not concerned with you losing 4 pounds so far then you're likely just fine.

There are some healthy things you could try to eat to keep yourself from losing any more weight if you are concerned about this.

Here's a great thread with lots of ideas on natural therapies for morning sickness.

And here's a page that discusses the benefits of Raspberry Leaf which is a wonderful herb to take throughout your pregnancy. It can help with morning sickness and prepare your body for an easier birth. I'd ask Jane how much she recommends you take if you're going to take it during the first trimester.

Another good article to read is acupuncture beats morning sickness. That's probably not something you've considered, yet it can be very helpful for some women.

There are some other threads on morning sickness in the Pregnancy forum area so feel free to take a look around there or do a search for them. If you have any further questions on morning sickness or your pregnancy the pregnancy forum area will offer the support you need during this precious time of your life. It DOES get better and the second trimester was always the time I really looked forward to... when I didn't feel sick and I was able to really enjoy my pregnancy.

Warm regards,

Kate

Thank you, Kate... to know that it is not uncommon eased both my and my partner's minds by a mile!

I am definitely going to look into my options seeing as I cannot continue to miss class.

The plan was to remain in college, but not being able to even leave my bed has made that quite difficult.

I have heard of the raspberry leaf herb and am willing to try it. Most herbs seem to make me feel queasy but what have we got to lose!

Thank you again

Hi imagine.forever.1992,

I can really emphasise with you. Most women with morning sickness find it worse (or even only present) in the first trimester - how many weeks pregnant are you now? I found I needed to eat little and often to reduce the sickness: I kept a packet of ginger biscuits with me all the time, even if bed! I also made sure I ate something before I got out of bed in the morning. I wore travel sickness bands (the kind you wear on planes) and found this useful.

I don't believe Raspberry Leaf should be taken until 32 weeks pregnancy as its effect is not fully researched earlier in pregnancy: see the article on Raspberry Leaf. So I would check with your doctor or midwife before taking this.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and hope you feel better soon!

I am sorry to hear that you have had morning sickness so often. I would try not to worry too much about losing weight and not gaining. If you are still in the first trimester, it is fairly common to actually lose weight. It is important to try to eat well and stay hydrated, but I would not be too concerned over losing a bit of weight. I have also heard that Raspberry Leaf should not be used in early pregnancy (before 32 weeks), so I would research that more, as well. I think ginger is great for helping with morning sickness, so possibly ginger biscuits or ginger candies could help. You can also try eating something small before even getting out of bed in the morning. I have also heard Vitamin B6 can help. I think eating small meals throughout the day is important too. This article also has some helpful information on nausea during pregnancy.

Yes you're right jessica. It is advised that you have small frequent feedings. And eating crackers may help too. Eat those crackers which don't have strong flavors or better eat those bland ones. Then avoid caffeine intake also or lessen it, avoid carbonated drinks as well.