breast feeding and new pregnancy

I am still breast feeding a 9 months old baby, but I am pregnant again. Is it better to stop breast feeding, to avoid the possibility of miscarriage?

ecres,

Congratulations on your new pregnancy.
    It is perfectly ok to continue to breastfeeding your 9 month old baby.
    Their is alot of research on the subject, I'd like to suggest that you dive into some researched based articles on the matter.
    In doing so you can then make a informed decision for you and your babies.
    Here is a great researched based article on "tandem nursing"...the term that is used for breastfeeding more than one baby and breastfeeding while pregnant.
    http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-pre...gnancy_safety/

On a personal note, I have breastfed through 2 pregnancies and at the time my children were a bit older than your little one...however they both nursed all the way through my pregnancies and continued on to self wean at a much later age.
    Tandem nursing worked out very well for our family.
    Please let us know if you have any questions after reading over the research.

Blessings and happy breastfeeding!

Yes I agree. In the past there was concern that breastfeeding in pregnancy could cause a miscarriage but this has now been discounted - there is no evidence breastfeeding increases the risk of miscarriage in pregnancy. It is safe and will continue to give your 9 month old the important breastmilk they need.

I also breastfed throughout my last pregnancy and then fed my baby and toddler together.

Please do post back if you have any further questions on this interesting topic.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you very much for your replies. In fact, my doctor advised me to stop breastfeeding to avoid miscarriage, but it is not easy to convince my small girl that she has to stop. Your replies are really encouraging!
    Kind regards,
    Elisabetta

That is shocking that your doctor advised this (I assume there were no special circumstances with your pregnancy that you have not mentioned). You can see the research from the kellymom link that sunnymumof5 posted above. Sadly breastfeeding knowledge is not kept up-to-date by many health professionals and this ultimately impacts the health of babies around the world.

Warm wishes,
    LJ