Supplementing with formula

I am not producing enough milk to stop supplementing. Is it possible that my body cant produce a lot of milk? My pals have told me that their breasts had so much milk the needed nursing pads. I seem to be dry all the time and need to squeeze the milk out. Help I'm so worried my milk supply is too low for the baby to feed.

steviej,

How old is your baby?
    How often is baby nursing from the breast?
    How often is baby being supplemented?
    How much is baby being supplemented?

Your milk supply is based on supply and demand, so the more you nurse, the more milk you produce. To ensure your milk supply keeps up with your baby’s changing needs, follow his cues as to how often and long to breastfeed. Clues would look like (stirring, sucking hands, rooting when cheek is stroked)

Many babies go through growth spurts when they need to nurse much more often. After at most a few days, these extra nursings will stimulate your milk supply to step up to meet your baby’s needs and he’ll return to his normal nursing pattern. Growth spurts usually occur at about two weeks, six weeks, three months and six months.

As long as baby nurses actively, switch breasts when your baby has finished with the first one. Human milk increases in fat as the baby nurses, so letting baby “finish the first breast first” insures that baby receives the right balance of fluid and fat. Switching breasts too soon or limiting feeding times can cause a baby to fill up on the watery foremilk at the beginning of a nursing without getting the high-calorie hindmilk that comes at the end. A baby getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk may not gain weight well, may be colicky or gassy, and may have green stools.

If you wonder whether your baby is getting enough milk, keep in mind that during the newborn period most babies need to nurse at least eight to twelve times a day. But this doesn’t mean that feedings will be spaced every two to three hours. Newborns tend to “cluster” nurse, or bunch feedings together during one part of the day, often the evening. It is best to ignore the length of time between feedings and keep track instead of whether the number of feedings every 24 hours falls within this 8-12 range. If a baby nurses fewer than eight times per day, this may be a baby who needs to be wakened and stimulated to feed more often.

Ill be checking back in to see your response.

Blessings

He is 6 weeks now and you are absolutely right. He went from drinking 2-2.5oz to 3-4oz bottles. I thought wow am I over feeding him?! I hear boys eat more than girls as well. I have only been able to produce .5 to 1oz at a time and the rest is mixed with formula bottle. He still searches for my nipple when feeding so I know he doesnt reject my breasts. He feeds often never having an issue with skipping a meal. I will try like you said to switch breasts often for stimulation. One breast is easier than the other though. I feel like he has a favorite nipple.

Are you pumping your milk and giving it to him in a bottle?
    Most often when a baby is at the breast we do not see how much milk he/she is taking in. We go by other signs....wet and dirty diapers...contentment...weight gain...etc.
    If you want to get your baby back to the breast I would highly suggest seeking out the advice of a La Leche Leader or Lactation Consultant. They will be able to help you wean baby from the supplements if that is something you would like to move to.
    However....it is also ok that you have provided your baby with as much breastmilk as you were able and have now found a system that is working for you.
    Either way know that you are doing whats best for you and your little one.
    We are always here to offer support and advice if you need it.
    Blessings

Quote Originally Posted by sunnymumof5 View Post
    Are you pumping your milk and giving it to him in a bottle?
    Most often when a baby is at the breast we do not see how much milk he/she is taking in. We go by other signs....wet and dirty diapers...contentment...weight gain...etc.
    If you want to get your baby back to the breast I would highly suggest seeking out the advice of a La Leche Leader or Lactation Consultant. They will be able to help you wean baby from the supplements if that is something you would like to move to.
    However....it is also ok that you have provided your baby with as much breastmilk as you were able and have now found a system that is working for you.
    Either way know that you are doing whats best for you and your little one.
    We are always here to offer support and advice if you need it.
    Blessings

Thank you for the advice! I was pumping and mixing it with formula. I was feeling guilty about not feeding him breastmilk exclusively like other mums. But he is definitely gaining a good amount of weight and that like you say is a good indicator of healthy baby.