New Father scared to hold baby

My husband is scared to hold our newborn. How can I get him to feel more comfortable in holding our baby?

Dear steviej,

This is a common concern for new parents. Has he tried sitting down comfortably first and then getting you to slowly pass him your baby? Another excellent option for holding a newborn securely and safely is a sling - a stretchy sling (such as the Karime, Moby or JPMB) is great for this age. He can pre-tie it on himself and then you can gently slide the baby into position. By the way stretchy slings like these are also helpful for breastfeeding and having your hands free/ being able to walk about (it takes a little practice). Most baby's settle well in a sling because they feel secure, safe and close to their parent.

Let me know what you think.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you! We couldnt get the sling but can you believe using the nursing pillow helped! My husband felt comfortable that there was cushion under him and as he got comfortable with the baby so close we slowly removed the nursing pillow and got him to be held;reminding him the baby is not so fragile he wont break.

Ah yes this is an excellent tip for new parents - thanks for sharing

Absolutely i agree!