Thread: Single Mum

Single Mum

Hi.

I'm a mum of a two lovely kids, 10 y/o son and a 4 y/o son. Sad to say that I've been a battered wife, the reason why I decided to end my relationship with my husband. My 10 y/o son understands what happened with me and his dad, since he witnessed my experiences with his dad but my 4 y/o son does not. My concern is how am I going to explain to my youngest what happened to us? He's been looking for a father figure.

Dear Janil,

It breaks my heart to read your post. I am so sorry for what you and your sons have been through. I am glad that you are safe now.

That's very difficult, isn't it. There are some excellent children's charities which can help to support you with this. One such charity is Barnardo's who work in Australia and the UK. I am not sure where you live? The NSPCC has this Domestic Abuse: Recovering Together course for families. I would strongly recommend you get in touch with one of these, or a similar, charity who can help to support you through this. They will also be able to help you with resources aimed at the young.

Your doctor or children's health professional should also be able to put you in touch with support organisations. These can help with explaining what has happened to your youngest son through pictures or story boards. Communication is key even for this age child and he needs to know he can ask you anything and you will always be open and honest with him. As you go through this difficult process, you will also be explaining that what happened to you all is wrong and should not have happened. Remind him that it is nothing he has done that caused this and that you love him very much.

You may also find it helpful to find out if there is a local group of families who have been through domestic abuse that meet to informally support each other and share experiences.

Thinking of you,
    LJ