Third pregnancy being 40 years old

Hello,

I am 40 years old and I would like to have a third baby. I didn't have problems with the previous pregnancies, but I know that there are more risks being older. (During the previous pregnancies I wasn't really so much younger because I was 37 and 39). What are the major risks?

Hi ecresc,

Thank you for your question. The greatest difficulty with pregnancy at this age is actually conceiving. As you are probably aware, a woman's fertility levels start to drop quite significantly from age 35 onwards. At age 40 a woman has around a 40-50% chance of conceiving in a year of trying. Unfortunately the chance of a miscarriage is also higher at this age - around 50% of pregnancies sadly end in a miscarriage at age 40.

However, saying that many 40 year olds do successfully conceive and go on to have healthy babies. Please draw hope from this. It is particularly important that you have good preconception care at this time.

The issue with having a baby when you are classed as an older mum is that the quality and quantity of the eggs have decreased (compared to a woman under 35 years of age). This is why it is more difficult to conceive and a miscarriage is more likely. It also unfortunately means certain syndromes, such as Down syndrome, are more likely. There is also an increased risk of developing gestational diabetes (and this risks associated with this) and having high blood pressure in pregnancy.

With warm wishes,
    LJ