Hybrid View

Administrator

Aromatherapy in Pregnancy

I personally love aromatherapy - I burn oils in a burner in my office almost every day. So I decided to do a search on aromatherapy in pregnancy to see what I could come up with. I found this article by Wendy Mackay (an aromatherapist) on aromatherapy in pregnancy - http://www.pregnancy.com.au/resource...regnancy.shtml (Wendy kindly gave me permission to reproduce her article). I was wondering if you have any tips, suggestions or experiences with aromatherapy in pregnancy.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

I always use lavender during labor and sometimes during pregnancy when I am feeling very stressed. It helps me to relax. I generally burn it in an oil burner.

When I am attending births as a doula I carry lavender and peppermint oil. I let my moms try sniffing a cotton ball that has been lightly sprinkled with oil to see if they take to the smell. If they do, depending on where we are we can use it in a oil burner or I add a few drops to a carrier oil for massage. I use the cotton ball trick, since pregnant women can sometimes find previously enjoyed smells nearly unbearable, particularly in labor.

Some pregnant women find that the smell of peppermint soothes their stomach.

Administrator
    Clary sage is a good oil to burn in labour - it helps stimulate contractions. This is not an oil to be used in pregnancy though.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Thanks, always looking for something new to add to my stash. I knew it was not advised during pregnancy, but never thought of using it during labour. Could definitely help during more difficult births. =D

I used peppermint oil to help with nausea during one of my pregnancies. I would put a dab of oil on the skin between my thumb and forefinger on my left hand (top side of hand, in the fleshy part). Then, whenever I'd start to feel nauseous (or smell something that made me nauseous), I'd lick that part of my hand where the peppermint oil was. If I was trying to avoid a smell, I'd smell that part of my hand.

It helped with one pregnancy, but I didn't find that it helped with the other pregnancies. I'm always on the look out for new ways to combat morning sickness.

During the time when I was still pregnant, my olfactory sense was very sensitive to the extent that even if I smelled something which I don't like, I throw up right away. The only scent that I loved was mint or eucalyptus wherein it's so soothing and calming. It was in a spa salon wherein I had mild body massage.