What is the best way to deal with a temper tantrum?

I am currently babysitting my 4 year old niece once or twice a week. My sister does not want me to act like an authority figure and wants me to be the "Cool Aunty". But I find that I run into many issues with my niece everything from eating (or not eating) to dealing with the family pets. What is the best way to deal with this situation?

Hi Campbell,

I think positive, gentle parenting (or caring in your case) is key. The focus should be on the relationship rather than the behaviour; this will set-up your niece for a lifetime of understanding, respect and good behaviour that comes naturally. I can't put it better then LR. Knost of Little Hearts Gentle Parenting so please have a read of this article: Toddlers, Tantrums, and Time-Ins, Oh My!.

Please post back on your thoughts on this and any with any further questions you may have about this.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you

Thank you very much for answering my question and sending me the link to the article. I read the article and it put things into a new light for me. It is so difficult dealing with toddlers and expecting them to react the same way as adults. I love the idea of the Shake me Jar and it will be a great craft project for us to do together as well.

I think positive, gentle parenting (or caring in your case) is key. The focus should be on the relationship rather than the behaviour; this will set-up your niece for a lifetime of understanding, respect and good behaviour that comes naturally. I can't put it better then LR. Knost of Little Hearts Gentle Parenting so please have a read of this article: Toddlers, Tantrums, and Time-Ins, Oh My!.

Please post back on your thoughts on this and any with any further questions you may have about this.

Warm wishes,
    LJ[/QUOTE]

You are very welcome Campbell. Yes it's interesting and enlightening to see events from the toddler's point of view and remember that they may have difficulty expressing their emotions at times or feel overwhelmed with an emotion. I also love the calm-me jars - a great diffuser of a tantrum for both toddler and carer/ parent.

I hope you find it really helpful in practice - let me know how you get on.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ