Dangers of having vaginal birth after Caesarean

Hello!

I delivered my first through a Caesarean operation and have been wondering if there is any danger of giving vaginal birth after? Do I have to expect the same procedure if I will be having my second child?

Dear Kheam,

Thank you for posting this interesting question.

The short answer is no - women who have a c-section are, in the majority of cases, able to go on and have a subsequent vaginal birth.

Please could I ask why you had a c-section with your first baby? This reason can affect your future births.

Having a vaginal birth after a previous c-section is known as VBAC. 80% of women who try for a VBAC are able to achieve it (the rest end in c-sections). Many women and their medical carers consider this option because of the risks and recovery associated with a c-section. We have lots of resources on VBAC here. With a VBAC there is a small risk of the uterine scar rupturing (less than 0.5%). However, you would be closely monitored and if this risk became evident then an emergency c-section would be carried out.

It is really important to have supportive medical staff when you are wanting to have a VBAC. Your midwife needs to be in support of this decision. You may also want to consider having a doula to help support you.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello LJ,

Thank you for the wonderful and informative insights.

The opening of my cervix is not progressing, I have been induced for 3 days and nothing happened. Up until the baby was taken out of my tummy, it opened 3cm only. On the other hand, on my 28th weeks I had a 1cm opening which my OB let me take a medicine for this in which it would go back to the normal track. Is there any chance of affecting the cervix to open when on the due date?

Best regards,
    Kheam

Dear Kheam,

What medication were you prescribed at 28 weeks?

At what week were you induced? Please could I ask the reason why you were induced.

The cervix is more likely to open if you go into labour naturally. If your body, and baby, are not yet ready for labour but you are induced then you are more likely to have 'failure to progress'. As an aside, this term (failure to progress) is often overused when women's bodies are expected to perform and cervixes open according to averages. Actually, the delicate and natural opening of the cervix occurs more efficiently and smoothly when a woman is left undisturbed and labour happens at its own, natural pace.

With warm wishes,
    LJ