Hybrid View

Question Nutritional value of breast milk.

Hi, my son is 16 months old and still breastfeeding but my friends are advising me to stop, "since the nutritional value of breast milk goes to nearly zero after six months of breastfeeding". Is this true?

I too am interested in the nutritional value of breast milk. I think the midwife will confirm that breast milk is of important nutritional value at this age as I have been reading a study by Dewey (2001) which concluded that between 12 and 23 months of age 448ml of breast milk provides:
    -43% of a baby's protein requirements
    -75% of vitamin A requirements
    -60% of vitamin C requirements
    and the list goes on!

I think you are doing a great job breastfeeding your son!

There are a lot of valuable nutrients in breast milk for as long as you are breastfeeding. In fact my first child was not interested in baby food or table food for the first year of her life, so she survived almost exclusively on breast milk for that time (and she was in great health).

Good information posted by ljmarsden! Thanks for posting that helpful resource.

Administrator
    I agree - you've provide some excellent information ljmarsden - breastmilk is very important for toddlers. Not only is it nutritionally sound it helps support toddler's developing immune system. Children's immune systems are not fully developed until around the age of four years (which is interesting as 4 to 5 years is the average world weaning age). The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends breastfeeding for 2 years and beyond. The general population is not aware of the ongoing benefits of breastfeeding beyond the first year of life. Good on you for continuing against societies pressure to wean.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Yes all of you are right, breast milk is just so important and very beneficial to a child. I believe so much in breastfeeding that up to now I'm breastfeeding my 19months old son. I introduced formula milk to him at 12 months when he got hospitalized, but he refused. At 16 months, that was the time when he started to drink some formula milk because I worked already.

Along with the nutritional benefits that breast milk provides is the mother and child bonding also. If you want your child to be so close to you, then you should invest in breastfeeding.

I agree momikatie - the bond that is present with breastfeeding a toddler is not talked about as much as that bond breastfeeding gives (both mum and baby) with your newborn baby. But it's true that the bond continues and strengths as feeding goes on.