Thread: Not enough eggs

Not enough eggs

Getting pregnant is not easy for me. My gynecologist tells me that this is due to the fact that my ovary is not producing enough eggs. She prescribes a medication to help me conceive. I wonder, if I weren't given any medication, will I ever be able to get pregnant? Does this mean that I may be infertile? Is there anything I can do to improve my fertility?

Dear Belle,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties trying to conceive. I am pleased that you are seeing a gynaecologist to help you with this.

As we get older our bodies produce less eggs, and less eggs of the same quality. Over the age of 35, a woman's quality and quantity of eggs unfortunately significantly decreases. This does not mean you are completely infertile but it often means that your fertility levels are decreasing. When a woman's fertility levels decrease past a certain point it is best to seek medical help if you are trying to conceive.

I think you will find this article helpful: Understanding Fertility and Infertility.

It really depends on your fertility levels was to whether you would be able to get pregnant without any medication.

There are some natural ways that you can help with your fertility levels which include:

-avoid smoking and drinking
    -eat a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables
    -make sure you are drinking enough water
    -keep stress levels to a minimum
    -avoid exposure to chemicals
    -exercise regularly

By age 40 there is, on average, around a 50% chance of conceiving in one year of trying. I would follow your doctor's recommendations to help you with this.

Wishing you all the very best and please post back if you have any further questions about this.
    LJ

Dear LJ,

I don't smoke and drink and am not exposed to harmful chemicals. I have a healthy and balanced diet and lots of water but lacking on exercise. I guess the big issue is with stress level.

I am, unfortunately, stressed at work. It is something I can handle. But still, there are times when it is overwhelming.

I really hope i would be able to manage stress issues well enough to not interfere with my efforts at having another kid.

Thank you LJ.

Best regards,
    belle

You are welcome. I hope you can find ways to help you manage/ reduce the stress at work. That must be very difficult. You may find that a regular exercise regime both helps with your fertility levels and gives you ways to manage the stress at work. I wonder if you could you talk to your boss about this and explain it is particularly important for you to keep stress to a minimum currently?

With warm wishes,
    LJ