Thread: Pregnant at 39!

Pregnant at 39!

I am turning 38 this year. Generally, I am in good health... just a little bit overweight. I am planning to have another kid next year. Would it be safe? What are the probable risks that i will be facing? I am a bit apprehensive because of the general impression that at this age, pregnancy if often difficult and risky. Others also say that at this age, we are at a very high risk of giving birth to children with abnormalities. Is this true? Should I really be concerned?

Dear Belle,

The first thing I will say is that many, many mums in their late 30s do have healthy pregnancies and babies. However, as you say above there are some extra factors and risks to consider.

One factor which you have already referred to in a previous post is that it is more difficult to conceive for women aged 35 years and older. This is because the quality and the quantity of a woman's eggs start to significantly decrease after this age. It is good that you are seeing a gynaecologist to help you with this and also you could start doing some Preconception Care.

In terms of once you become pregnant, because women aged over 35 generally have lower quality eggs it means that unfortunately the chance of having a miscarriage is increased. However, again I would like to say that many women of your age do have healthy pregnancies.

The chance of having a baby born with a syndrome is also unfortunately increased. For example, at age 40 the chance of having a baby with Downs Syndrome is 1 in 100 whereas at age 30 it is 1 in 10000. So the risk is significantly increased but it is still most likely by far that you would have a healthy baby.

One point to note is that women who are overweight can find it more difficult to get pregnant. A daily exercise regime can help with fertility levels.

Wishing you all the very best,
    LJ

Hi LJ,

Thank you so much for taking your time to shed light and give me hope on this matter.

I believe with prayer and with the help of my gynaecologist, I could prepare for my next pregnancy.

Best regards,
    belle

Hi Belle,

You are very welcome. Yes I certainly agree!

Wishing you a healthy and peaceful next pregnancy,
    LJ