Thread: Hello Everyone!

Hello Everyone!

Hi! I just became a new mother to a 2-week old healthy baby boy. I am 29 years old and married just last year. It has been an exciting experience for me, adjusting to marriage life, having an unplanned pregnancy, having gone through 18 hours of labour not knowing I would end up with Caesarian Section delivery because my baby was surprisingly big and attending to my newborn baby personally, doing hands on care as this is my desire ever since I got pregnant. So basically, everything is new. That is why I am very excited to be a member here and be a part of this forum as I am curious with some things making me have questions in mind.

Dear HappyToBeAMommy,

A huge congratulations to you on the birth of your baby boy! I know there is so much to adjust to when you become a new parent so I'm so happy to hear how well you are getting on. We are pleased that you have joined us here on the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond forum.

How much did your son weigh when he was born (you say he was very big)? How are you feeling about your labour now? At what point were you in your labour when the decision to have a c-section was made? Most hospitals have an 'afterthoughts' process where you can go through your labour notes in detail with a midwife which can help you to come to terms with the birth you had and convey any disappointments you are feeling.

With warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you so much LJ for your warm welcome and for your response!

My baby weighed 8.6 lbs/3.94 kg. My OB told me I had CPD or an arrest cervix. It dilated only until 6 cm and didn't continue on and my baby was big so he wasn't able to come out normally. When the doctors knew that my dilation stayed at 6 cm still for how many hours, they tried to wait a bit longer. My OB tried her best, she broke my bag of water then we waited for 2 more hours but there was no progress. That's when she finally decided to have me deliver through CS. We were thankful that my baby was doing well, his FHT was normal the whole time, so he wasn't distressed.

Well, I feel sad because I wanted to deliver normally but at the same time, I am very happy and grateful that I've gone through the pain as women were designed to do so, it was worth it. It's just that I didn't expect for it to last that long. But then I embraced the fact that in pregnancy, labour and delivery, anything can happen that we may not expect. Right now, I am just very joyful and thankful to God that my baby boy and I are doing very well.