Hybrid View

Are there any foods that can help with conception?

I have been trying to get pregnant for over a year. I believe that there is a lot learn about nutrition and how certain foods affect the body. I try to stick to a very healthy diet of plenty of fruits and vegetables as well as meat and grains. I was wondering if anyone knew of any foods or supplements that they had tried in the past to help in conceiving.

Dear Campbell,

Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry to hear it has been taking you a while to conceive. Have you spoken to your doctor about this yet? This is generally recommended if you have been trying to conceive for 12 months.

It's really important to have sex during your fertile time each month. For most women this only lasts about 3 days each month. Do you know how to look for the natural signs of fertility each month? Are you using an ovulation tracker kit?

Your diet sounds good. You are right - it is important to eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables when you are trying to conceive. Food rich in Zinc and Calcium is also important when you are trying to conceive. You should avoid too much vitamin A and avoid vitamin A supplements. Drinking plenty of water can also help and keeping stress levels to a minimum. It's also important to exercise regularly at a level you are currently comfortable with.

Are your periods regular?

With warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you for replying to my post. I have checked with my doctor and my husband and I have done tests and everything has come back normal. It is is interesting that you mention Vitamin A because too much Beta Carotene makes me sick to my stomach. I can't eat raw red capsicums, or raw carrots without getting violently ill and any supplements with Beta Carotene in them make me nauseous. I do exercise regularly and I drink a lot of water. My periods are regular although much heavier every second cycle.

Sincerely

Campbell

Thanks for your reply Campbell. How frequently do you and your husband have sex? Here is a detailed previous post about how to look out for the natural signs of fertility which occur each month. It's important to have sex in this three day fertile window in order for sperm to meet an egg.

With warm wishes,
    LJ