Trying to get pregnant

I have been trying to get pregnant for over a year. I am overweight though and I would like to lose the weight. Do you have any advice for a safe way to lose weight ( I need to lose about 30% of my body weight) that will not hinder the chances of conceiving or harm the baby in any way when I do get pregnant?

Dear Campbell,

I think you are wise to aim for a healthy weight during pregnancy. You are more likely to have a low risk pregnancy if you are a healthy weight. Being a healthy weight also makes it easier to conceive.

Please could I ask if you have regular periods? Do you know what your BMI (body mass index) is?

What is your diet like currently? What would a typical day's meals look like for you? I would recommend packing your diet full of as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible (if they were organic then this would be even better). Keep processed and sugary foods down to a real minimum. Also try to eat plenty of wholegrain foods - these release energy slowly and will help you to stop feeling hungry and snacking. Drinking plenty of water can help you to lose weight and it is also recommended when you are trying to conceive.

Do you have a weekly exercise regime? This will also be important to help you to reach, and maintain, a healthy weight. You should begin this gradually if you are not exercising much currently.

Changing your diet to a healthy one and exercising regularly will increase your chances of conceiving and help you to have a healthy pregnancy.

With warm wishes,
    LJ