Thread: Mouth ulcers

Mouth ulcers

Hi all, I'm new here so I hope I'm posting in the right forum. Just wanting others thoughts on children getting mouth ulcers. My two girls 8 & 7 yrs are frequently getting mouth ulcers. I suffered a lot as a child and still do occasionally. My mum always used to say it was because I haven't eaten enough fruit & vegetables & usually when I was constipated. My girls eat a lot of fruit. Will take them to the gp this week, however do any others parents on here have children who get mouth ulcers?
    Thanks in advance.

mellyeli,

Mouth ulcers tend to be a common childhood condition.

The exact cause of most mouth ulcers is unknown. Stress or tissue injury is thought to be the cause of simple mouth sores. Certain foods -- including citrus or acidic fruits and vegetables (such as lemons, oranges, pineapples, apples, figs, tomatoes, and strawberries) -- can trigger a mouth sore or make the problem worse. Sometimes a sharp tooth surface or dental appliance, such as braces , might also trigger mouth sores.

Some cases of complex mouth ulcers are caused by an underlying health condition, such as an impaired immune system; nutritional problems, such as vitamin B-12, zinc, folic acid, or iron deficiency; and gastrointestinal tract disease, such as Celiac disease and Crohn's disease.

Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), an ingredient in many toothpastes and mouthwashes, has been linked to mouth sores and is thought to prolong the healing time of the sores.

If you have noticed a reoccurring problem with the sores than I would have their vitamin levels checked by a family doctor.
    Mouth ulcers tend to run more so with in a certain family units. Thus explaining possibly why you had them frequently as a child and now your daughters are getting them.

I would also look into starting daily probiotics to heal the gut as well as boost their general immune system.

Let us know if you do get their vitamin levels checked and how this pans out with your GP.

Blessings

L