Natural Family Planning to concieve?

My hubby and I are trying to use natural family planning to know when my most fertile days are so we can know when to try to conceive. However, my periods are irregular. My doctor told me I can manually check for ovulation but looking for something (I can't remember what she called it) she said I would need to do a self check and look for something thick ..but I have NO clue what she meant by that. Can any of you help me?

Lea26,

I always enjoy hearing from mums who are using Natural Family Planning to conceive. I have used the method myself for my last 2 pregnancies and its worked very well for our family.

I am going to link you are great thread that was started by a lovely mum here in the forums. She is well versed on Natural Family Planning.
    Please do take the time to read through her thread and let us know if you have any questions after reading the information.
    I feel confident that you will enjoy her information.
    Here ya go:

http://www.pregnancy.com.au/forums/s...amily+planning

Thank you so much.
    That link really explained a lot. I had never heard of cervical mucus but I think that's exactly what my doctor was talking about.

Lea26,

Cervical mucous is a contributing factor to conceiving, being aware of how yous changes will help you understand your body more.
    Please let us know if you have any further concerns.

Blessings