Is my mum right?

My hubby and I are trying to get pregnant. We already have a 7 year old (from Hubby’s previous relationship) and I love him dearly. I love being a mum to him, but I want to experience pregnancy and childbirth. My hubby and I have been having trouble getting pregnant and my mum told me that I needed to take prenatal vitamins and do specific positions during sex to make it easier for the sperm to flow into my uterus, is this true? Can this really help?

Dear Lea26,

Thank you for introducing your family and for joining us on the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond forum.

There are certain things you can do each month to make it more likely you will get pregnant. The most important of these is to have sex during your fertile period of the month. Did you know that most women can only get pregnant for around 3 days each month so it is really important to have sex during your fertile period? Are you using an ovulation predictor kit? Please have a read of this detailed previous post about the signs of fertility you can look out for each month.

Eating a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables can help with your fertility levels. Organic fruit and veg have been found to contain significantly more nutrients than their non-organic counterparts. Taking your prenatal vitamins can also help with this but eating a balanced, healthy diet should cover this. It is important to take folic acid supplements when you are trying to conceive (although this does not increase fertility levels it protects the baby from an unformed neural cord).

Some positions can make it easier to get pregnant in. One of the best is thought to be the classic missionary position. Laying down for 5 minutes after sex may also help, and you can place a pillow under your bottom to help with the natural sperm flow.

It's also important to drink plenty of water and to keep stress levels to a minimum. You should try to have a daily exercise regime and avoid alcohol and smoking.

Please could I ask how long you have been trying to conceive for?

I hope this helps. Please do post back if you have any further questions.

Warm wishes,
    LJ