Thread: Crib death

Crib death

I know a couple who continue to suffer the loss of their baby due to a crib death. What exactly causes crib deaths?

Dear motherlywidow,

I'm so very sorry for the couple that you know. My heart goes out to them.

Crib death or cot death is technically known as Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). It is not fully understood but continued research gives us more information each year. It is thought to be caused by a baby falling into too deep a sleep that they are unable to breathe properly.

There are certain ways to reduce the risk of SIDS including:

- laying your baby on their back to sleep
    - not using duvets, pillows or cushions near you baby
    - breastfeeding
    - sleeping in the same room as your baby until they are at least 6 months old
    - never smoking around your baby

When did the couple you know lose their baby? I hope they eventually find some sort of peace.

With warm wishes,
    LJ

About the couple

Hello, LJ. The infant was only 3 months old. But the couple has gradually recovered. They now have a 1-year-old boy whom they're looking closely at.

Thank you again for enlightening me. It's great to hear from you.

motherlywidow

Hello,

That is so very sad. I hope they don't feel any guilt. Even with baby monitors cot death can occur and it can even sadly occur when a baby is sleeping in their parents' arms. Some have likened it to a part of the bay's brain 'forgetting' to breathe when they reach a certain level of sleep on a particular day. It is extremely unlikely to be caused by anything a parent did or did not do.

The risk of cot death is minimal after 12 months of age.

With warm wishes,
    LJ