Hybrid View

Help with buying a breast pump?

Hi everyone, I am looking for any advice that people can send my way. It has been awhile since I had my last child 6 years to be exact. With my other two boys I didn't use a breast pump because I didn't need feel I needed too. Now with two very active boys I know that I won't be able to keep up that pace without one. What I am looking for is the most economical and user friendly one that people have used? I am new to these so they are a bit daunting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mommytobe3,

I think it depends on how often you plan on pumping milk for your new baby. You may find that exclusive breastfeeding may be easier than pumping then bottle feeding. Ive found that offering the breast is much easier than pumping then bottle feeding, which tends to take up more time. Considering one must keep the pump and bottles clean as well as pump then bottle feed.

If you feel that you will need a pump...you will need to figure out how often you will be using it...once a week, a few times a week, daily?

If daily, I highly suggest a double electric pump, one that pumps both breast at the same time. I'm also a Medela Breast Pump fan, not sure if you can get one in your area.

If you will be using one a few times a week, then a manual pump should be ok.

I would check with a local midwife or Lactation Consultant to see what sort of pumps are readily available in your area.

Happy Breastfeeding

Thanks I have thought more about it and I am contacting a lactation consultant for more help.

That's great! Please let us know which pump that you decided to go with. Sharing information between mothers helps us so much.

Blessings