Why does one breast produce more than the other?

I have been breastfeeding my daughter for the last 10 months and have consistently produced more milk from the left breast. How can I increase milk supply in the right, without over-producing on the left? If this is not possible, will my breasts return to the same size when I am done breastfeeding? Meaning, will I continue to have one breast that is a little larger than the other?

Thanks in advance!

- Loren

loren_blue,

How awesome that you have been breastfeeding your baby for 10 months! Congratulations to you and your little one!

Producing more in one breast is very very common and quite normal. No 2 breasts are able to hold the exact amount of milk. Considering your little one is now 10 months old, your body is producing exactly what your baby needs. Continue to nurse on demand and your body will continue to produce what your growing baby needs.

If it's causing lopsidedness, it's not much of a problem. You can fix it by increasing stimulation and milk removal for the underachieving breast and decreasing stimulation and milk removal from the overachiever. You can begin all or most feedings on the small side, and if you want you can pump that side in addition to nursing.

Keep up the awesome breastfeeding mama!

Blessings
    Last edited by sunnymumof5; 8th June 2014 at 04:45 AM.

Thank you so much! I just started nursing on the smaller breast a bit more and I've already seen a huge improvement. Thanks again!

Thats great to hear!
    Keep up the great work mama!