In what ways do fertility treatments affect you emotionally?

I have a friend who has miscarried twice, and has difficulty getting pregnant. She is considering fertility treatments but her and her husband are concerned about how it will effect her emotionally, and what it might do to her sex life. What emotional symptoms can she expect? Are there some side effects that are more common than others, or do the treatments cause different reactions in different women?

Hi loren_blue,

I'm sorry to hear that your friend it struggling to conceive and that she has experienced two miscarriages. This will be a very difficult time for your friend and her husband.

Unfortunately miscarriages are quite common (they affect around 1 in 5 pregnancies). This means that most women would not be offered any special investigations or treatment unless they had experienced 3 miscarriages in a row.

However, you also say that your friend has difficulty getting pregnant as well. Has your friend and her husband had fertility testing or are they just thinking about this process? In terms of the treatment and the affect of this it really depends on what treatment is needed. Yes it is different for different women too.

There is some helpful information here on the Emotional Aspects of Infertility from the infertility association resolve. Women can feel tearful angry during this process as well as exhausted (emotionally and physically). It is often also an increased time of grief for babies that have been lost and grief that the couple could not get pregnant naturally.

I am sure that your friend appreciates your support and will need your friendship in the months ahead.

Warm wishes,
    LJ