Trying to get preggy

I have been trying to get pregnant for a long time. I am 64 kg and 5 feet in height. After a laboratory and ultrasound the doctor told me that I have a PCOS Poly-cystic Ovarian Cyst. I am not having my menstruation for almost a year. Can these be the reasons why I can't conceive??

Dear redempta,

Apologies in the delay in replying to your post.

Yes I am afraid that having PCOS does affect a woman's fertility levels. Women who suffer from PCOS have cysts in their ovaries and too much of the hormone androgen. This can stop a woman from ovulating properly or stop her ovulating at all. It is often associated with a woman being overweight and having problems with excess hair as well as obviously having irregular periods.

The good news is that most women who have PCOS who have treatment are able to successfully conceive. Has your doctor talked to you about the possible treatment options? Do you mind if I ask how old you are as this can also have an impact on your fertility levels?

Some women find that being on the pill for a few cycles and then coming off the pill helps them to conceive in the first cycle when coming off the pill (as this can help a woman to ovulate on this cycle). You are also more likely to conceive if you are able to reach a healthy weight. Please have a read of this previous thread on diet and PCOS.

A good source of further help and support on PCOS is the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Association of Australia (POSAA). As I say above it will also be important that you have a doctor's support with looking at treatment/management options which are right for you.

Warm wishes,
    LJ