Hybrid View

When will midwives do a Sweep?

Hi,

Ok now just wondering i am currently 28 weeks with my fourth baby and have my next app at 32 weeks. I had a sweep done with my last two at 39 weeks and 3 days and all went perfect. My question is will a doc or midwife do a sweep at 38 weeks if i ask them as my father is the only person who is available to watch my other kids while i'm in labour but his boss is taking holidays a week before i'm due and wont be back till the week after and since she is doing that my dad has to be at work because he is 2IC and works nights. I have asked all other family and friends but no one can help. Being that in your opinion would they do a sweep at 38 weeks if i ask them i know that it sounds selfish but i cant handle the stress of not having anyone to look after the kids if my dad has to work and i go into labour. I am going public hospital too if that is of importance.

Cheers

Hi Ellais,

My midwife did a sweep at my 39 week appointment with my 2nd child because I asked for it. Unfortunately it didn't help and he was 9 days late.

Here's a page that discusses what you can do to start labour naturally when you're overdue.

And here's a good page that discusses how to start labour naturally.

Post back and let me know if that helped and if you have any other questions.

Warmly,

Kate

Administrator
    Hi Ellias - welcome to the forum. Sweeping the membranes increases prosaglandin release and can, if done before you due date, encourage labour to occur (though not necessarily straight away after the sweep). On the down side it is an uncomfortable and invasive procedure. You can request a sweep from 38 weeks after talking to your midwife or doctor.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Thank you for your response. I have had a sweep with my last two and it worked with in 2 days. Ill ask them at my next app and see if i can book one for my 38 or 39 week app.