Thread: working mum

working mum

for all working mums/mums to be out there:

when did you start taking time off work?
    I was planning to start mine when I'm 36weeks, is that gonna be too late or still to soon?

Dear kat1108,

Thank you for posting this interesting question.

I think it is a personal choice and depends on factors such as: how you have felt in pregnancy, if your pregnancy is high risk, if you are likely to have your baby earlier than 40 weeks (for example if you had a planned c-section at 38 weeks or a history of going into labour before your due week). The majority of babies are born between 38 and 42 weeks so if you would be happy starting maternity leave at 36 weeks and potentially having your baby at 38 weeks then this gives you an indication as to whether it is the right choice for you.

How have you felt generally during your pregnancy?

Ideally you want to be well-rested and well-prepared for labour and the arrival of your new baby but don't want to feel bored and impatient for your baby to arrive.

It also depends on the work you do and if you feel comfortable continuing this late into pregnancy.

To put it into context, with my first pregnancy I had a more stressful job and also experienced morning sickness into the third trimester. This led to me choosing to begin maternity leave as early as possible. In my second pregnancy I was working from home (and so able to continue working with ease) and I had an easy pregnancy so I started my maternity leave around the 36 week mark.

Let me know your thoughts.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks for acknowledging my question.

Actually, my pregnancy is low risk even though this is my first one. However, with the kind of job that I have I feel like im stressed but need to get going due to financial reasons.

I'm glad that you work from home and Im really looking into that same kind of working environment as well in the future.

I hope you are able to do the work you need keeping stress levels to a minimum.

A first pregnancy is not more likely to be higher risk than a later/subsequent pregnancy.

I wish you all the very best.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Im hoping that everything goes okay as well.

Thanks.