Thread: Pcos

Hybrid View

Pcos

I was diagnosed with PCOS and i really want to get pregnant. My cycles are 35 or more days apart. I usually have my period twice or thrice a year. What are my chance of getting pregnant and what can i do to increase that?

Hi vimbaizw,

Here's a good thread that discusses how to conceive if you have irregular cycles.

Has your doctor prescribed any medication for your PCOS? If so, what are you taking and how often?

Warm regards,

Kate

I was on the pill, and trying to get pregnant now. I have been taking clomid for 2 months now. Is there a natural way of beating it?

Hi Vimbaizw,

There are natural ways that can help you to manage PCOS and regulate your cycle/boost your fertility - including dietary and lifestyle changes such as a low GI or low carb/high protein diet, weight loss or gain and regular exercise. A natural health practitioner i.e. a nutritionist or naturopath can assist you with this. You might also like to visit the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Association of Australia Inc website.

Hi Vimbai,

I agree with Briony's suggestion that you can help regulate your cycles and boost fertility through dietary and lifestyle changes.

When you were on the pill, it likely regulated your cycles, but never addressed the underlying cause of your irregular cycles. Now that you want to conceive, you obviously can't take the pill, and your true hormonal picture is showing up in infrequent cycles of maybe 3 times a year.

In order to increase your chances of getting pregnant there are two things that you need to do.

1. Learn how to get your baby-making-sex timing absolutely perfect, so that when you do ovulate, you'll know it's coming and you'll know how to optimize your chances of conception that month. I addressed this in a thread entitled How to conceive if you have irregular periods.

2. Increase the frequency of your cycles aiming to get them closer to 12 times a year.

There are a number of different ways to do this, but you can start by being sure that you're eating a low carb diet and exercising regularly. You may also want to talk to your doctor to see if he thinks a medication like Glucophage (Metformin) would help with the insulin resistance related to PCOS. This has helped some women to conceive.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi,

I was detected with high sugar levels and have recently started taking Metformin (twice daily). Does it effect my chances of a natural pregnancy?

Hi Anukriti,

Metformin can actually help to regulate irregular cycles which gives you a better chance of conceiving. I have a friend who took it for 2 months and then conceived, after she had been trying to get pregnant for 6 years. I believe she stopped taking the Metformin as soon as she knew she was pregnant, and she just had her baby a few months ago.

Check with your doctor to see when you should stop taking it, if you conceive.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Be sure you're eating a fertility friendly/low blood sugar diet as Briony mentioned above.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hello!

I was also diagnosed with PCOS, and was blessed with a baby girl who is turning one this April already. I was just wondering, after being able to conceive and give birth, should I take the medicines I took before again in order to conceive our second baby?

Thumbs up Pcos

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Hello!

I was also diagnosed with PCOS, and was blessed with a baby girl who is turning one this April already. I was just wondering, after being able to conceive and give birth, should I take the medicines I took before again in order to conceive our second baby?
    Hi Mary

I too was diagnosed with PCOS and I got pregnant after trying for 3 years last year for the first time February 2011. However that pregnancy was unsuccessful because of a blighted ovum. I too was concerned after trying so long if I would have success again since when I related my medical history it was always: " I have PCOS and I was taking Metformin when I got pregnant". Everyone gave that look like impressive, one Doctor even gave me the thumbs up and I was starting to believe that I had overcome some hurdle which was impossible and may never happen again.

Despite the fact that I have PCOS I have regular 28 days periods.

However despite my loss when I returned to my General Practitioner who had prescribed the Metformin she put me back on them again. I must admit the side effects are very bad for me they hurt my stomach and send me to the bathroom to do a solid as often as 3 times about 2 hours after I take them. She wanted me to take them 3 times a day. I could not handle that. Sometimes I barely took it 2 times a week, 1 time a week and more than often none at all.

By the way I am over weight and that was her main reason for given me the Metformin so that I can loose weight and she did say to me that it could make me get pregnant.

This year 2012 I decided to start back my exercise regime and do some garden all of the things that I did the last time I got pregnant. I am happy to say that I am pregnant again. I only got couple weeks into the exercise and gardening before I tested positive for pregnancy.

Tina

PS: I too have a question is there a cure for PCOS or is it something that I have to live with the rest of my life and what harm can it be in the long run. I was too scared to ask my General Practitioner at the time. Given my condition now I don't know if I really want to stress myself for an answer.

Thank you for your input.

Hi Tina,

I'm very excited for your pregnancy. I'd like to encourage you to eat a really healthy diet while you are pregnant so that you can have the best chance of having a full term pregnancy and easy birth.

PCOS is similar to Diabetes in that they both are linked to insulin resistance. Diabetics benefit from regular exercise (especially exercise that burns more glucose, like weight lifting and resistance exercises). Diabetics also benefit from avoiding foods like rice, potatoes, corn, pasta, sugar, fruit, fruit juice and simple carbohydrates found in muffins, white bread, french bread, etc. You will benefit from a diet that is similar to this.

Focus heavily on eating vegetables - can be fresh vegetables (like a rainbow salad) or lightly steamed/sauteed. Have a piece of high quality protein too, like organic meat or poultry, fresh, wild, fish (low in mercury), organic eggs, organic nuts, and even some organic milk if you tolerate it well, though milk products can be high in fat, can cause diarrhea and congestion in many people.

Some people do really well on a raw diet, and during pregnancy I'd suggest that if you're going to consider going on a raw diet, that you maybe do something like 70/30. 70% raw, 30% cooked, so you can include some cooked meats. I've found that diabetics who do a nearly all raw food diet can eat fruit and it doesn't bother their blood sugar. The trade off is you're giving up cooked foods.

As for whether there is a cure for PCOS, I'd say that you can cure it, but it takes being on a fairly strict diet, and exercising regularly. You can also take herbs, and this is something you may want to look into. I'm not sure if you can take all herbs for PCOS during pregnancy, but you may be able to take some.

Something that may be very helpful for you is working with a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner who can give you some very specific herbs to support your pregnancy AND support hormonal balance which will help with weight loss. You'll want to look for someone who is very knowledgeable and will give you a customized blend of herbs, not just a bottle of herbs that she hands to "everyone". You want him or her to create the custom blend for you.

It's really important to get a handle on this now, because women with PCOS do have a higher chance of having certain challenges as they get older, but I wouldn't focus on this during your pregnancy. Right now you want to focus on being the healthiest you can possibly be so you can give birth to the healthiest baby possible.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Mary,

If you're not seeing good signs of fertility, and/or your cycles are not a good length, then you may need to go back on the medications for your PCOS in order to be able to conceive again.

Our bodies change during pregnancy and after birth, so you may want to check with your doctor, have some testing done again, and see what the doctor recommends in order to help with the PCOS so you can conceive again.

Warm regards,

Kate

Thank you for the advise Ms Kate.

I wish you well on your pregnancy Ms Tina.